Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Curacao Visit

We just got the film pictures from Curacao back, which I (Jason) took, so I thought I'd blog a bit about the trip.

It was a really fun trip, and it provided some well needed relaxation time. I tried to do a number of things every day: fish, snorkel and eat fish. Hiking was also a high priority for me. The every-day tasks I set for myself, I accomplished pretty much everyday. (Eating fish I did more than once a day sometimes.) Chantal previously posted some pictures of the fish we caught.

We had an underwater box for pa's camera, so we got some nice pictures while snorkeling, but we haven't posted any yet.

Just prior to going to Curacao, I bought myself a new lens for my camera. It's a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF. I got it used for a really good deal from The Camera Company in Madison. I was so excited about using it. I think it really did well. I want to post some of the pictures that I am most proud of from the trip. (I'm trying to convince myself that I'm a decent photographer. :) )

One day, we went to Willemstad, which is the capital of Curacao. There's a fruit stand market there along the waterfront. We bought a coconut, some banana leaves, oranges, guavas and maybe something else. The coconut and banana leaves we used to make a sauce and to grill, respectively, some chicken and some fish. It was really good. A picture of the market is to the right.

Another day, we took a free boat ride from the resort down to Willemstad to the waterfront, so we got to see a lot of the oceanfront houses and buildings along the way. The guide pointed out some of the more historical/notable features, which was nice. Chantal also got to enjoy free chips and salsa. :) This trip also afforded me the opportunity to get some good pictures of the resort (see left).

We did a little bit of hiking one day when we drove to another beach. I forgot which one it was though. We went and hiked up a hill to a ridge overlooking a secluded beach with a small hut/building on it. We had to scramble down the hillside to get to it, which involved sliding and grabbing trees at times. It was worth it though. We saw some pretty large iguanas there. To the right you can see a picture I took of the beach through some brush.

Although this wasn't from our trip to Curacao, I wanted to mention that before we left, my parents took us to see the Madison Symphony's Christmas concert. It was spectacular. The music was great, and I really enjoyed the sing-a-long beforehand. It really helped make it feel like Christmas. I had just gotten my new lens earlier that day, and I wanted to try it out. The picture to the left was one of the results. In case it's not clear what it is, this is a picture from inside the Overture Center of Christmas lights hung from the ceiling along the windows with the Capitol building lit up in the background. After seeing this picture, I know choosing such a high-speed lens was a great choice.

No comments: