Pages

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Chili Cookoff 2007

A couple weeks ago was the annual 'chili and beer' festival, J and I and our friends Scott and Amy Shreve wanted to attend this 'tasting sensation'. Sadly, when we arrived for the festival we found out that no more samples of chili would be given out(which, in my opinion, is the MAIN reason of going to a chili festival) so we decided that we needed to have our own chili festival instead.

So here we are:
the Shreves graciously hosted the Chili Cookoff 2007 at their new lovely home.

We enjoyed four variations of chili- Texas style wholesome three bean, a Cincinnati variation with spaghetti, Spicy Mexican Sausage with serranos and White Chicken chili.
I have to give props to Heather Hruby for giving me the winning chili recipe that I used:
Since I'm not much of a recipe follower, I will give the recipe as I changed it from this particular recipe:

Enjoy

White (Chicken) Chili

(Variation on variation of Betty Crocker's 9th Ed. given to me by the lovely Heather Hruby)
I have made many changes to this recipe and feel free to add and subtract ingredients as your likes and dislikes suggest :) this is after all what cooking is all about :) :) :)

PS this is a VERY low-fat and healthy recipe, so "eat away my friends- eat away!"

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)

3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped(depending on how garlicy you like :) I also add a small amount of garlic powder(but I like it garlicy)

1/2-4 jalepenos peppers, chopped (depending on spicy preference)

3 cups chicken broth(I like to add a couple extra bouillon cubes- mostly chicken and some beef for extra flavor- also add more water/broth if you want more sauce)

2 tablespoons lime and or lemon juice

1-2 Tablespoons of honey or brown sugar/jam or other sweetening agent

*2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I add this as a garnish at the end)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons Chili powder

1-2 T of Paprika(also adds spice)

½ teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon salt

2 tsp pepper(less or more depending on desired spiciness)

1 can of large tomato paste(12 oz)


As for the beans- I used 2-3 types of white beans and 1 can of a different color for pizazz- but here is a different take)

1 can (15 to 16 ounces each ) great northern beans, drained

1 can (11 ounces) white shoepeg or whole kernal corn, drained

1 can butter beans, drained

2 cups 1/2-inch cubes cooked chicken or turkey(I added 2-3 lrg pieces of chicken to make it extra meaty for Jason and I put it in raw after the rest of the ingredients to add extra flavor- but just make sure it gets cooked through(so chop them in small pieces) :)


Tortilla chips and other toppings (see below for ideas)

Crockpot:

  1. If using crock-pot/slow-cooker, toss everything in(although I recommmend sauteeing the onions first and then add the garlic and let all that mix together for a couple of minutes to bring out each of those flavors)- but don't over-sautee the garlic(no crispy garlic) and
  2. Add the sauteed onions and garlic to the mix
  3. Add the chicken(either cook the chicken first or add raw and just make sure it gets cooked through.
  4. Cover (stir at first, but don't stir too much or you'll break up the beans etc) and cook on Low 7-9 hours.(or low for 4 or so hours and high for 1-1.5)
  5. ENJOY :)

Stovetop:

  1. Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion(first) and add garlic in oil, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender(just don't cook the garlic so long that it gets crispy).
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken and tortilla chips. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, 20 minutes.
  3. Stir in chicken; simmer until hot.
  4. Serve with bowls of chopped tomato, tortilla chips, shredded mexican cheese, chopped green onions, guacamole, sour cream, chopped fresh ciliantro, salsa, etc. as toppings. The sky's the limit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your great chili recipe! I made it for my family over Christmas break, and everyone loved it! My only question is if you used tomato paste in the chili you brought to the cookoff. I don't remember the broth part of the chili being red when you made it. I could be wrong though!